Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New Picks of the Week 7-25-10

I am not much of a movie guy. I probably see about two or three new films in the theater a year. So it should come as no surprise, that I have no intention and seeing the new thriller “Inception”. It’s not that I don’t think I wouldn’t like it. In fact, from what I’ve heard, I probably would like it. Nonetheless, like most movies, I am all over the soundtrack though. This one was written by living legend Hans Zimmer. The 52-year old composer from Frankfurt, Germany is known for music from movies like “The Lion King”, “Pirates of the Caribbean”, “The Da Vinci Code” and “Rain Man” just to name a few. I love the them from this soundtrack. It has creative and unique chord movement and a sort of electronic beat to the uptempo stuff. And the low brass is amazing. I would say that, wouldn’t I?


I might not like the football team from Dallas, Texas, but I sure like this band from Cowboy country. The band is The Afters. They have been making music for over a decade now. I first stumbled upon them two years ago with their hit “Never Going Back To OK”. Their latest album “Light Up The Sky” is great. More middle of the road well produced rock with a great message. My favorite track from the album is “Runaway”. It’s sure to be a hit at Christian radio and probably something Heidi and I will be playing for special music at Fairview in the near future.


Sting has done it again. He is combining his love of unique pop stylings with symphonic overtones. This time he has recorded an entire album with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra. Most of the songs are covers of his own music. My absolute favorite is “We Work The Black Seam” which is Sting accompanied by brass ensemble. The brass arrangement is very cool although somewhat repetitive. It makes me want to transcribe the whole thing and play it with some group. But who? I must figure this out. The rest of the album is also a treat. Sorry to just focus on one song!


Eminem (pictured left) has returned to #1 for the second time in his career. This week he moves from 2-1 on the pop chart with “Love The Way You Lie” featuring Rihanna. It is Eminem’s first trip to #1 since 2002 when he spent 12 weeks on top with “Lose Yourself”.

Add another hit to Usher’s career list as he debuts in the Top 40 at #19 this week with “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love” featuring Pitbull. It is the 19th career Top 40 hit for the 31-year old Tennessee native. Four of those have come this year including the #1 smash “OMG” featuring will.i.am which is at #5 this week.

One of my past picks of the week also debuts in the Top 40 this week. Maroon 5 is at #28 with “Misery”. It becomes the California rock quintet’s fifth Top 40 hit. Other former picks of the week in the Top 40 this week include La Roux’s “Bulletproof” (#12), Taio Cruz’s “Break Your Heart” (#15), Ke$ha’s “Your Love Is My Drug” (#16), Train’s “Hey Soul Sister” (#17 in its 42nd week on the Top 100) and The Script’s “Breakeven” (#31).

Also debuting in the Top 40 this week is “Jar Of Hearts” by 23-year old pop newcomer Christina Perri and “The Only Exception” by Paramore, their third career Top 40 hit.

Come see our newly designed website at www.songerstudio.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment