Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Picks of the Week December 5, 2010

Ever since “Welcome To The Black Parade”, I keep my eye on Jersey City rock quintet My Chemical Romance. As a fan of horns and marching bands, you couldn’t beat a crossover pop hit like that. This year they have produced two more songs that have caught my attention: “The Only Hope For Me Is You” and now a non released single from their brand new album “Danger Days”. The song reminds me of the crossover hits of The Cure from the late 1980s and early 1990s. Keyboard pads and a nice guitar solo along with simple lyrics and a catchy chord progression. There are more songs on the new album that have also caught my attention. Check it out.

I don’t know what I like best about Owl City. Let’s see. There are the extremely clever lyrics, the electronic feel, the original sound, his unique voice, the fact that he’s an outspoken Christian, the fact that there isn’t anything superstar-ish or fake about him, or maybe it’s just that he’s from Minnesota. I love this new song by Owl City called “Peppermint Winter”. It’s a nice secular Christmas song about how joyous the holiday is. And it’s done in typical Owl City fashion. It’s a nice festive addition to the classic Holiday repertoire.

I was laughing the other day when I saw a high school picture of 23-year old pop star Ke$ha. She looked like your average high school kid. Now she goes around putting glitter in her hair, putting makeup all over her face and dressing in outrageous costumes. Another words, she is being a pop star. I have really liked a lot of the songs that have been written, produced and mixed for her. Notice, I said I didn’t say I liked her voice. I love “C U Next Tuesday” which is off of her latest album. It’s a fun upbeat pop song.

Chart Update

P!nk jumps to #1 this week with her third career chart topper, “Raise Your Glass”. The 30-year old Pennsylvania native first reached the top in 2001 with “Lady Marmalade” which was a collaboration with Christina Aguilera, LIl’ Kim and Mya. Her second appearance at the pinnacle of pop success was two years ago with “So What”.

Katy Perry also has hit #1 three times. She is looking to make it four as she jumps from 6-2 with “Firework”. And watch out for Bruno Mars who has already reached #1 with “Just The Way You Are”. This week he leaps back up from 7-4.

Bruno also has one of two songs that enter the Top 10 this week. His third career Top 10 hit is “Grenade” which leaps from 17-10. Topping it by one spot is “The Time (Dirty Bit)” by Black Eyed Peas which moves from 13-9. The song which samples the 1987 #1 hit “The Time Of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes is the Peas’ seventh Top 10 hit.

This week’s highest Top 40 debut comes from 35-year old Spaniard Enrique Iglesias who scores his eighth chart single this week with “Tonight (I’m Lovin’ You)” featuring Ludacris & DJ Frank E at #18. He nearly has back to back hits this week with “I LIke It” up from 21-20 this week.

The biggest mover in the Top 40 this week is “Stereo Love” by Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina which jumps from 35-26 this week. The song is well on its way to becoming the top dance song of 2010.

Also debuting this week are yet two more Glee hits, “Marry You” at #32 and their cover of Bruno Mars‘ “Just The Way You Are” at #40. And Dr. Dre is back at #34 with “Kush” featuring Snoop Dogg and Akon.

No comments:

Post a Comment